.AMERICAN STUDIES WITH AN AUSTRALIAN
Towards an Australian Website for Secondary Teachers and Students.
On July 15, the Australian and New Zealand American Studie
s Association held in
conjunction with the ANU and the American embassy a conference,
organized by Dr Douglas Craig. Representatives of the HTA’s
from around Australia and academics attended.
Introduction and chair: Dr. Douglas Craig
Keynote address: Professor Edward L. Ayers, University of
Roundtable Discussion #1: “Raw Materials” (Denis
Mootz, HTA, NSW)
- What commonalities in curricula are
- What topics would be most useful?
- What materials would be most useful?
- What approaches would be most useful?
Roundtable Discussion #2: “Making a website”
(Chair: Bruce Dennett)
- Developing an Austral(asi)an accent
Roundtable Discussion #3: “Mechanics’ (Dr Stephen
Robertson, History, University of Sydney)
- Getting the website started
- Keeping it going
- Issues of ‘ownership’ and longevity
- Cooperation between secondary and
- Bringing the students in – secondary and
Summation: Professor Ian Tyrrell, University of New South
Wales and President
Committees were established to look at a variety of topics.
A number of topics were chosen to provide web materials for
teachers—up to 20
documents to be entered for each topic and historiographical
each topic, and a historiographical contextual introduction.
The topics chosen
- American revolution
- Indigenous history
- Interwar-1919-41 including the great depression and New
- Cold War
- Civil rights.
The web page will be hosted by ANZASA